Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Cranky Color

Yesterday, I was cranky. The kind of cranky that is caused by nothing going the way it was planned. I had woken up with a very clear vision for the day and all the energy I needed to make it all happen. Then, my middle child woke up with a head cold and didn't want to go to school. It threw a nasty wrench in my plans, lemme tell ya. Not that I don't want to be there for my kids when they are sick, mind you. It's just I have been dealing with sick kids for days and days and days now. My house, it would seem, is a cesspool of disease and germs. Ugh, Yuck, Gross! I girl can only take so much before crankity crank crankness sets in.

I was so cranky I tweeted "argh. i have no idea what to do with myself today now that i'm stuck home again. for once, i'm in no mood to clean. i'm pouting." Oh yes, a great deal of pouting was happening. Along with my crankiness. I don't know about you, but when I wake up with a vision, and I can't act on it and make it a reality, I can't think of anything else in the whole wide world I want to do. Nothing. Zip. Nada, Zilch. Thankfully, I have friends that can think for me! Lindsey reminded me of what I did one of the last times I was in this kind of mood... that I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself-mood...  seek the "Color of the Day". Last time I found A Lion's Share of Brown. When I checked yesterday's color of the day, it was Cherry Tomato. My mood greatly improved.


Pantone's COD

Cherry Tomato, what an unusual color for early April. In the red family, not my usual go to color. I wasn't quite sure I could find any Cherry Tomato when I first started thinking on it. Then, I opened my eyes and started hunting about my house. Oh, it's there all right. Take a look...
Cherry Tomato 1
Cherry Tomato 2
Cherry Tomato 3

Shortly after starting my Cherry Tomato scouting, Andrew decided his cold wasn't so bad and I took him to school. I was able to get those things done I had been hoping to and then some. YEAH! I found lots of Cherry Tomato in the studio, but my camera battery was dead at that point and most of the red was packed away anyhow. Peps, this is a such a good exercise to open up your eyes to the unexpected colors around you. You must try it. Pop over to Pantone's Color Of The Day any time you need a nudge in the right color direction.

While we are on the topic of color, my mood was thrown right back into cranky when I popped into the new studio on my way home later in the afternoon. The painter spray painted the entire window wall BLACK! Black... I mean like black, black. Ceiling black. My studio was suddenly cave like with every bit of sun being sucked into the oblivion of the wall and ceiling. The building manager said they can't put it back to white. I'll have to do it on my own. Sigh, I have SO much other work to do (my latest Color Canvas piece is due next week!). I did not need painting a wall up to a 15ft ceiling on my list. Argh.

At least I was able to get all the measurements I needed to start settling on how the new space with be laid out. Rearranging all those little (to scale) furniture pieces was quite satisfying. Though I'm sure not as satisfying as it will be to finally be in the space.

Studio lay out option 2

4 comments:

Jane Perala said...

I'm really enjoying this "vicarious" trip with you setting up your new studio.

Why on earth would they paint the wall black - seems very strange.

Kerry said...

there is a radiator on the wall they painted black. i was told that radiators become dingy when painted white. i would take touching up dingy white over a black wall anyday. call me crazy, i know! argh!!

TesoriTrovati said...

Gah! That is horrible! I wish that I were closer. I am wicked good with a paint roller and cutting in is my specialty!

Maybe you could turn it into a chalkboard and doodle and design all over it? That would be sort of cool, but it will suck the light right out of the space. I can't believe they did that to you!

Thanks for the tip on the color of the day. Didn't know about that! I am loving the cheery cherry tomato red color you found all over.

Enjoy the day, Miss Kerry!
Erin

Cyndi J said...

Oh, how frustrating (sick kids and black walls). I like these posts on the studio updates. And thanks for sharing the Pantone color of the day. I'll check it out.