Thursday, December 16, 2010

#307

I can hardly believe it is really happening... I mean it is really, truly, absolutely, I-already-gave-them-the-check-and-signed-the-lease, happening. I am renting a studio... yeah, I said it...

I am renting a studio!

This has been something I have talked about for, um i dunno, like, forever. In fact, two years ago when we moved into this house, I made a dozen phone calls about it. Even had an appointment or two for tours. But, alas, I let the doubts get the best of me, and the appointments were canceled, and the dream was put back into a place of impossibility. Not. This. Time. This time, I made the appointments, and kept them. I filled out the applications, I negotiated the price, and I made it happen. I have been excited in a reserved way for a couple weeks about it. I was thinking something might come up that made it fall through, but OH, last night... I was kid-on-Christmas-Eve-gonna-overdose-if-I-don't-wake-up-to-a-million-presents-and-ain't-gonna-get-a-wink-of-sleep-because-of-it excited. And today, while driving around town, I kept screaming "I'M SO EXCITED!!" Because, today, today, I got to be in the space, take photos, sign the paperwork, measure stuff... and it is real.

Now... without further ado... I give you a quick look into my new space.

elevator shaft 2
studio 1
studio 2
studio 4
studio 7
studio 8
studio view 1
the hungerford 2
the hungerford 1

I am feeling so very tender about this. During my sleepless night, my thoughts ran the gamut. Everything from what color the curtains will be to intense anxiety/fear over finally doing this. The tenderness I am feeling comes from wanting to protect this little room. I am scared people will snicker and point and tease my new space. I love it so. It doesn't look like much now, but there is a laundry list of things that the super will be doing to it before I move into #307 in early January. The ceiling will be painted black, as well as the window frames, the walls off white, and the hardwood floors will get a coating of industrial gray. These are standard colors and anything different I would need to do. I am loving the idea of leaving it industrial and making it *me* with pops of color, the accessories, and furniture. We talked about electrical outlet placement, and there is to be a sink put in. I am going to scour our local craigslist for a mini fridge and a microwave. Oh, and I want to check out the local architectural salvage shop for some base cabinets to make the kitchenette. The doors need some care and I'll be painting those myself once they are repaired. I can't wait to hang my banner on the door too!! And that pole in the middle of the room... I need to get myself four of these beauties. Wouldn't they be perfect? Hmmm, I wonder if Santa reads my blog? OR, better yet, maybe I could make glass ones... though I don't think soft glass is strong enough to hang coats on...

But I digress.

I truly can not express just how much this room means to me... on so many levels. Being with Ron since I was 16 means that I have never had anything that was mine. Just my own. I never bought a car without someone, or had an apartment, or went away to college, or or or... This though, this is mine. And maybe it is selfish of me to want something of my own? Part of me thinks so, but the smarter part knows that I love my husband, and my kids, and my home, and something that is just for me isn't a bad thing. No doubt, they will spend many an hour in this place too.

From a business stand point, this place is going to make so much more possible for me. I will be keeping regular hours at the studio (planning to arrive by 9am and leave by 2:30pm at least 3 days a week), and now... drum roll, please... I can teach lampworking!! Not to mention getting to interact with humans on a regular basis again and being in such a vibrant living breathing place. I start grinning just thinking about it.

I hope you'll stay with me here as I share the journey to getting the place ready, the feelings I have along the way, the things I create in this space, and what new adventures will be had. I know I can't wait...

EDITED TO ADD:
I thought y'all might enjoy a few links about the new studio space!!
The Hungerford Urban Artists - I can't wait to sign up to be called one of these and get the official sticker on my studio door. And here is a link to an article about one of the building events: ART - Hidden Hungerford
First Fridays Rochester - I plan to take part in this monthly event and my goal is to be ready by the February First Friday.

29 comments:

Laura Twiford said...

Congratulations Kerry! The space looks fantastic and I can see all the possibilities right along with you. I look forward to seeing the ongoing transformation! You definitely have a right to space for yourself, we all do, go claim it!

Courtney Breul said...

Congratulations to you!!!!!

hfinkle said...

I can't wait to come to the new space to learn more lampworking techniques. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Jane Perala said...

That's fantastic - I am looking forward to seeing what you do to the space.

Unknown said...

Congrats Kerry! The space looks fantastic! Spacious and ready for you to make it your own.

Nola said...

Congratulations, Kerry! You have come such a long way. Enjoy!! :)

Unknown said...

Hooray for you and having your own space that is just yours! I can relate to not having had a place of my own that wasn't shared or going off to school or buying a car and can imagine just how BIG this is for you :D

I am excited for you!!!

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you could find some fantastic hooks along with the cabinets you want at Rehouse. Have fun!

Brandi Hussey said...

Oh, Kerry, that is AWESOME! Congrats to you - it looks amazing and I can't wait to see what you're going to do with it.

P.S. I totally think it's healthy to have something truly "yours". Absolutely, totally healthy.

jeanette said...

very cool, Kerry. This is really going to be a great experience for you and offer many new opportunities.
Very excited for you!

Barbara Lewis said...

Forget the self-doubts ... you're ready to soar! I wish I had a space like this of my own ... away from the home ... more public! This is going to be so much fun ... I'm living vicariously through your thrilling experience!

sandi m said...

What wonderful news Kerry! Can't wait to see how you decorate it. Just thinking of all those lovely antiques you always find that will fit perfectly here.
The building looks like an old beauty. Does it house other artist studios?
I have a feeling that abundant creativity will flow from this space. Enjoy this special time.

Kerry said...

thanks so much for the love everyone!!

yes, the space houses other artist. it is the first stop on the first friday artwalk tour of rochester each month with more than 30 studios. check out http://thehungerford.com/ and http://www.firstfridayrochester.org/

so so excited... positively elated here!

and OH YEAH! i went to an estate sale today and found an antique solid oak beveled curved glass empire style china cabinet to be a display case for jewelry for first fridays!

Amy said...

So wonderful! I can't wait to see how you transform that space, and how you transform in that space. Fun!

I also think soft glass will hold coats just fine. I made a coat hanger with a cabinet knob. You could totally make something for coats.

elisabeth said...

Congrats - how exciting! Hope to get there myself come day :-)

AscenderRisesAbove said...

color me envious!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Awesome news and the space looks amazing!

TesoriTrovati said...

This is the best sort of news! A happy happening to someone that really, truly deserves it. Not selfish, no. This will be so self-filling that I am doing happy dances for you right now (don't let my Tiny Dancer see or she will roll her eyes at how ridiculous this jig is!). I only wish that I lived closer so that I could watch the transformation live and be one of your students. A girl can dream...

Think BIG thoughts, Miss Kerry and the Universe will manifest them for you!

I know I don't need to tell you this but... Enjoy the day!
Erin

N Valentine Studio said...

Congrats! I moved into a joint studio space this year and I love it! I still have a glass and metal "working" studio at home but do all my finishing and will be teaching there. I love it! Connecting with others, having a legitimate space, I could go on and on! If you need plans for portable ventilation I can shoot you a link to a great set up! Congrats again! Can't wait to see your progress!

stregata said...

Congratulations - a big step and it will be sure to propel you forward on your journey. The building looks fantastic and I am sure your studio will be also. Good for you for listening to that voice that said: go forward!

Unknown said...

Talk about growing! I too am pretty darn Happy for you! With out and about and giving classes etc you will really Soar in so so so many ways. Wonderful News Kerry! Yey!

Beadbug said...

Congratulations, We have a building in Kalamazoo that is like this with an Art Hop on the first Friday of every month happening all over the city and it is very successful. Good Luck.

Cindy said...

Can't wait to see how you decorate it and make it yours. Hope you keep us posted with photos..........not that I doubt you will

RockerJewlz said...

Fantastic, and NO, you are not being selfish. The most important and most difficult thing for an artist to obtain is solitary time to create.

My husband never had his own bedroom...I can't imagine not having that time in his life to decorate a room and surround himself with exactly what makes him tick. I wouldn't be "me" without my time doing that.

So, the joy you feel about your studio is a wonderful thing!

Congratulations. The paint colors as a backdrop for your bright glass work will make for some fabulous photos of your space.

Cindy said...

Congrats on the BIG news, Kerry. Exciting news and long awaited indeed. I am really happy for you, deep down, to see this dream of yours finally coming to life. We'll have to catch up soon - on one of your non-studio days! :-)

Anne said...

Yay, Kerry! Way to follow your dreams. I can't wait to come and visit the studio. Merry Christmas to you!

Rebecca said...

Congratulations to you! It looks like an amazing space - so full of potential and quite beautiful already in an urban warehouse type of way. It actually is very reminiscent to the great red brick warehouses we have here in Manchester (UK), most of which have been (very tastfully on the whole!) converted into flats. I love them - they are so statuesque and such a beautiful shade, as is your new building. I can't wait to read all about what you get up to in this new adventure! I think you are quite right to want something for yourself - I think it's part of what we need from life and it makes us better people the rest of the time if we have our own little area that's just for us. Good luck with it all!!

Susan Marling said...

Congratulations - how wonderful for you!! I'm just sorry you aren't more excited about it!! Seriously, the space and all that goes with it sounds great and I can't wait to see what to do with it and in it. Have fun!!

Stacey said...

Of course I am late to the game but your studio space is awesome - that building is gorgeous. I can imagine what this means to you for I have a dream of space that I can teach out of and hold special events out of...looks like a beautiful dream come true! I wish you tons of happiness, success, and creative abundance!!! :)