Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Tip Top Table Shape


Okay... so here is the big reveal of what I was grinding in that picture from yesterday. Not what you were expecting? What? Doesn't everyone spend Labor Day cleaning paint and rust off old metal table legs with their husband's grinder? Of course not. I realize how crazy I am.

Last week during that HoHum day when I ended up baking Triple Berry Pies with my Mom, we also stopped at an estate sale on the way home. It was the second day of the sale which means that everything is half off. GREAT!! My kind of sale!! Down in the basement of this old ranch house was the work area of a former caterer. There were big sinks, lots of dishes, pots and pans, and tucking into three different corners were 3 different enamel top tables.


My Mom is the one with the eye for these things. She had seen the table the day before and brought me back to see if it was still there. The two tables I did not get were rather traditional and plain. The one I got though, I fell in love with right away. It is from the 30s or 40s and it seats 4. Plus it has this section that pulls out making it seat 6. But how to get it out of the basement? It took several tries. The dang thing weights about 80lbs. In the end we had to get a tool out of the box of tools for sale in the garage and take the legs off.


I love love love the art deco style pattern on the top and the three tier legs on the bottom. I had to wire grind the legs to remove all the rust and gross paint. That took hours. But it all came off and the wheel took things right down to the original chrome. I would have polished the chrome but it was in too rough a shape. I went for spray paint to brighten things up.


I gotta say... I think I am in love with spray paint. This is the first time I have used it and I am looking around at all sorts of things I could blast with a can of the stuff. For this, I used Blue Mediterranean by Valspar. At $3 a can how can you go wrong? I could change the color again in week and it wouldn't break the bank!!


OH, I am forgetting to tell you the best part... guess how much I spent on the table. It was marked $65, but is was half price day... and I did some dealing... so I got it for $25!! Go me. And I will end up using this as the island in my kitchen. Not my idea though... it's my Mom's idea. She has a lemon yellow and lime green one in her kitchen as her island. It makes for a great place to do prep work. Now, my kitchen... that still needs work. I have wall paper to peel, walls to paint, a back splash to tile... tons needs to be done in the kitchen.

Happy First Day Of School!

6 comments:

Leslie Gidden said...

Holy Moly Kerry! LOVE IT! I also love the color you picked out......am I seeing a theme here? I just changed the color on some estate sale frames my mom found as well....with spray paint! I too am now hooked! Great job Kerry and mom!

Warmly,
Leslie G.

Pretty Things said...

Soooooo jealous. I love it!

rosebud101 said...

That is so great! You can really bargain! Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Way, way cool table. What a find!!!

Anne said...

Score! I love it. They sell a tool for spray painting to make it easier to grip (like a garden hose) and you don't get paint on your fingers. Lots of lightweight coats - be patient. Spray on, Kerry!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the table! Never seen anything like it. Can't wait to see the kitchen. How about before and during and after pics?