Saturday, October 27, 2007

Wearing An Old Hat


Okay, so I decided the pendants with the silver rings aren't ready for their debut yet. I need to order a couple more things, and I need to let the idea stew a little longer and then I'll share. In the meantime, I thought I would share with you one of the very special orders I am working on.

I don't know how many of you are aware or remember this... but I used to do weddings! There was one summer in particular about 3 years ago that I did 15 weddings in about 4 months. I would set an appointment with the bride. She would let me know what colors her bridesmaids were wearing. I would come up with a bunch of "samples" and she would pick her favorite. After that I would make enough for all the girls in the bridal party. All for a whopping $15 a necklace.

I think it is somewhat needless to say that brides can be nightmares. They have a vision and they are sticking with it... and most of the time they don't care who gets run over in the process. Once I started making beads, I stopped following bridal leads and started down the path I am on now. But something has come up that has me wearing my old bridal jewelry hat.... my cousin Audrey is getting married on Nov 24th. (And thankfully Audrey is a sweetheart, not a nightmare.)

She asked if I would make jewelry for her 3 bridesmaids, our little cousin Rachel (the flower girl) and for her. Her girls are all wearing the same dress but in 3 different colors. They'll be in apple red, persimmon, and truffle brown. Yummy combination. She wanted the jewelry to have a "berry" feel to it. So the photo above is what I came up with. Audrey had shown me a photo from a magazine of what I call a twig style bangle made from pearls and crystals. And simple pendants to match. And those didn't turn out quite how Audrey was hoping, so off to the bead bowl they go and out to the torch for me.

No comments: